Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slumdog Pussycat

So the "Slumdog" phenomenon has finally spread to the world of American pop music, proving that Danny Boyle's rags-to-riches engine truly can't be stopped, even after sweeping its ultimate destination of the Academy Awards. The Pussycat Dolls have released a remix to A.R. Rahman's Oscar-winning Bollywood anthem, "Jai-Ho," tossing in some sexy-yet-basically-subject-irrelevant lyrics and plenty of exotic-sounding "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" vocal tricks.


From what I've heard (you know, the word on the street kinda' thing), the Dolls have been getting a lot of heat for messing with - what many believe to be - a good thing, and for further commercializing what's already been ingrained in our collective consciousness: "Slumdog Millionaire" is the most utterly amazing movie af the decade (*falls asleep*).

I, hailing from the camp that declares such a superlative to be highly untrue, am surprised with myself because...I love the song. Up-tempo and ultra-fun, it marries two of my favorite things: movies and useless Top 40 trash. I'm crazy about Nicole Humdinger-or-whatever's voodoo chanting and the beat, paired with the ladies' old-school harmony, makes me want to search for the nearest subway platorm.

I couldn't find any official music video, but hear's the song, paired with some of "the most utterly amazing scenes of the decade":

No comments: