Sunday, February 8, 2009

BAFTA Winners!

I know I said I wouldn't be watching the telecast of the BAFTA Awards...I mean, the British Academy Film Awards...I mean, the Orange British Academy Film Awards (very indecisive, those Brits!) but, come on, who am I kidding? I live for this stuff. Anything even smells like Oscar and I'm sold.

Anyway, as expected, the lovely Ms. Winslet added a Best Actress BAFTA to the long list of accolades she's received this season for her lead/supporting/whatever performance as Hanna Schmitz in "The Reader." Kate's acceptance speech this evening was much more cool and collected than her glorious, tear-filled response to her double Golden Globe win last month. We'll see how she handles receiving the Oscar on Feb. 22 because, at this point, I think we can all agree it's hers to lose.

The BAFTA Winners:
BEST PICTURE: "Slumdog Millionaire"
BEST DIRECTOR: Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire"
BEST ACTRESS: Kate Winslet, "The Reader"
BEST ACTOR: Micky Rourke, "The Wrestler"
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
BRITISH FILM: "Man on Wire"
ANIMATED FILM: "WALL•E"
CARL FOREMAN AWARD: Steve McQueen, "Hunger"
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE: "I’ve Loved You So Long"
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire"
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Anthony Dod Mantle, "Slumdog Millionaire"
VISUAL EFFECTS: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
MAKEUP and HAIR: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
PRODUCTION DESIGN: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
SCORE: AR Rahman, "Slumdog Millionaire"
SOUND: "Slumdog Millionaire"
EDITING: "Slumdog Millionaire"
COSTUMES: "The Duchess"
RISING STAR: Noel Clarke
SHORT ANIMATION: "Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death"
ACADEMY FELLOWSHIP: Terry Gilliam"

No comments: