Saturday, November 13, 2010

Not Just 'For Colored Girls'

I don't have the precious minutes to do a lengthy write-up on Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls" (nor did it find a spot in my film-review agenda), but it really left a glowing impression on me. I even found myself liking the things I didn't like (I'm talking to you, Ms. Jackson).


This is a rare and wonderful trip to the movies, despite the grossly excessive melodrama, cliches and nonstop suffering. It really kills me that all the performances will likely be ignored by the Academy -- on top of more obvious reasons, it just doesn't have the reviews -- because they are without question some of the year's best. Kimberly Elise, Loretta Devine and Anika Noni Rose are particularly great. No lover of actors should dare miss out.

Meanwhile, have you been to the Web site? It's a beaut, which is typical of Tyler Perry film marketing. Also, check back next month, when I post my feature on the lovely and gifted Kerry Washington, co-star of "For Colored Girls." I for one am very excited about it.

No comments: