Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oscar 2010: Nominations and Prediction Scores


BEST PICTURE

* “Avatar” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
* “The Blind Side” Nominees to be determined
* “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers
* “An Education” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
* “The Hurt Locker” Nominees to be determined
* “Inglourious Basterds” Lawrence Bender, Producer
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers
* “A Serious Man” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers
* “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer
* “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers

My score: 8/10
Why I screwed up: Like most people, I assumed Clint Eastwood's "Invictus" would automatically be in the running. I'm plenty pleased the Academy acknowledged its mediocrity by passing it over. Also, few Oscar watchers saw "The Blind Side" nomination coming, but it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Not that I agree with it...at all.


BEST ACTOR

* Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
* George Clooney in “Up in the Air”
* Colin Firth in “A Single Man”
* Morgan Freeman in “Invictus”
* Jeremy Renner in “The Hurt Locker”

My score: 5/5


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

* Matt Damon in “Invictus”
* Woody Harrelson in “The Messenger”
* Christopher Plummer in “The Last Station”
* Stanley Tucci in “The Lovely Bones”
* Christoph Waltz in “Inglourious Basterds”

My score: 3/5
Why I screwed up: I went out on a limb with the assumption that voters would make the right decision and nominate Stanley Tucci for "Julie & Julia" instead of "The Lovely Bones." They didn't. And while I thought Christian McKay's portrayal of a dead Hollywood icon (Orson Welles) would entrance the Academy, it seems nominating a living Hollywood icon (Christopher Plummer) took priority.


BEST ACTRESS

* Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
* Helen Mirren in “The Last Station”
* Carey Mulligan in “An Education”
* Gabourey Sidibe in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
* Meryl Streep in “Julie & Julia”

My score: 5/5


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

* Penélope Cruz in “Nine”
* Vera Farmiga in “Up in the Air”
* Maggie Gyllenhaal in “Crazy Heart”
* Anna Kendrick in “Up in the Air”
* Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”

My score: 3/5
Why I screwed up: The dismal response to "Nine" had me certain that ladies like Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard wouldn't make it past the precursors. Alas, the Academy proved it's not quite ready to stop showering Cruz with love just yet. Maggie Gyllenhaal was the "Blind Side" equivalent of the acting categories: no prior recognition, but a surprise nod. I thought for sure one of the "Basterds" gals would have made the cut.


BEST DIRECTOR

* James Cameron, "Avatar"
* Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"
* Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"
* Lee Daniels, "Precious"
* Jason Reitman, "Up in the Air"

My score: 5/5

*****
For a full list of all the nominees, CLICK HERE.

No comments: