Thursday, July 14, 2011

'Horrible Bosses' Review

Oh, to be able to do a little movie surgery, to pick and choose elements and mash concepts until what was once two lesser movies emerges as one superior whole. That's what I woulda done with "Bad Teacher" and "Horrible Bosses," swapping Cameron Diaz's juiceless schemer with Jennifer Aniston's va-va-villain and ending up with something we'll call "Bad Dentist." Now there's something I'd like to see. 

"Horrible Bosses": Neither horrible nor boss
Alas, reality had other plans, and though "Horrible Bosses" doesn't come close to the nails-on-a-chalkboard misery of "Bad Teacher," it's a comedy doomed to devolve into forgettability. That is, not including Aniston's nutso libidinous dentist.

Read my full review of "Horrible Bosses," now online at SouthPhillyReview.com. CLICK HERE.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Kurt I just read your review and watched the trailer - the trailer for this film reminds me why I generally distrust trailers for comedy films: they take the few funny bits and make it look like the film might be worth watching. (Yes, based on the trailer alone I might have gone to see this, I certainly like the actors involved, and I love seeing Jennifer Aniston and Colin Ferrell against type.)

The trailer for Potiche, on the other hand, increased my interest in a film I hadn't really thought about seeing.

Janice said...

(Unnecessary) Follow-up: I just read your review for Bridesmaid and watched the trailer; and from the trailer I would not have thought "must see!" at all (I giggled once or twice); and in fact I haven't seen it yet but all the word of mouth is tempting me to do so. Proving again the rule that (for me, at least) trailers are a lousy and unreliable way of gauging whether or not I'll enjoy a film. (This seems to be much less the case with dramas, btw.)

Kurtis O said...

I'm always baffled by comedy film audiences who laugh wholeheartedly at the parts they've already seen in the trailers a dozen times. It's as if they feel they're ahead of the curve or something. But it's predominantly fake laughter. When someone tells a joke, it's always "stop me if you heard this one," not "wait'll I tell you the same old joke!"

Damon said...

I guess I’m glad I didn’t see the trailer for this movie… My friends forced me to watch Horrible Bosses with them, and I can say I am glad I did. This was one of the funniest movies I have seen this year, right behind Bridesmaids! I would have to say my favorite character was Charlie Day. He reminds me of one of my friends because he is crazy and talks exactly like Day’s character! I definitely plan on seeing this movie again, I really enjoyed it. I know that the Blockbuster Movie Pass was released earlier this week! I am really excited because the Blockbuster Movie Pass will give customers a huge selection of DVDs like Horrible Bosses, along with TV shows and games by mail. Since it is being offered by DISH Network (who is also my employer), there are 20 channels that are included with the Movie Pass in addition to the thousands of movies and shows that you can stream to your TV or PC! Blockbuster also has many stores that you can exchange DVDs at and Blu-Rays are included! For all that, I think $10 is such a great price for all that!