Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Bruno" Trailer

Apparently, I'm one of the few people in the world who wasn't amused or entertained by "Borat," Sacha Baron Cohen's Golden Globe-winning, absurdist, potty-mouthed docu-comedy from 2006. I'll admit that the naked brawl between Cohen and his disgusto side-kick was funny in a don't-want-to-watch-but-can't-not kind of way, but the only things that really tickled me were the nuances, like the rude New Yorkers that dissed Borat on the subway. Unlike great drama, which I'll take in thick, meaty helpings, I tend to like my humor slow, sly and subtle, three words that don't really factor into Cohen's comedic vocabulary.

This year, he offers "Bruno," a "Borat"-like "Borat" follow-up that sets its sights on homosexual stigmas and stereotypes instead of racial ones. Since controversial content of a gay nature is even more taboo than that of an ethnic nature (and probably because Cohen pushed the envelope as far as possible), the MPAA has reportedly slapped "Bruno," which incorporates "Borat"'s same cross-country interview format, with an NC-17 rating. The trailer below also got the red-band treatment, so, hide the children. Then take a look and see what all the fuss is about. What do I think? The same thing I thought about "Borat": Bleh.

No comments: